Release management strategy for Alpha releases ("Tribes")

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Wed Sep 19 01:05:24 BST 2007

On Fri, Aug 17, 2007 at 01:28:35PM +0100, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 13, 2007 at 12:47:27PM +0200, Martin Pitt wrote:
> > I think that the most basic question that we have to answer ourselves
> > is: "What do we expect from a Tribe release?"
>
> I'll refer to "Alpha" releases below, to be more general.  Our documentation
> should do the same, and I'd like to propose that starting with Gutsy+1, we
> use that terminology in all our communications about the CDs as well.

In case anyone is still wondering about the reasons for this...as one
example out of many, I came across this one in a press article about Dell:

  Looking ahead, Dell is testing Gutsy Gibbon -- a major Ubuntu upgrade
  slated for delivery in October. "We have weekly calls with Canonical,"
  says Hull. "We're actively involved in testing the Tribe release and we're
  looking at hardware support and the overall customer experience." Tribe is
  the term Canonical uses for alpha (pre-beta) software code.

--
 - mdz