should people.ubuntu.com be people.canonical.com

Stephan Hermann sh at sourcecode.de
Mon Sep 17 19:20:16 BST 2007

Hi Sarah et al,

Sarah Hobbs schrieb:
> I'd like to concur with the above, here.
>
> If it's a question of trust, remember that those of ubuntu-dev can
> upload to the ubuntu archive, and some of their code is in main, which
> core devs have uploaded.
>
> It seems that this is supposed to be analogous to people.debian.org, due
> to the naming.  Giving the members of ubuntu-dev shell access would fit
> into that idea.
>
> It really is a royal pain to have MOTU's resources spread across
> multiple servers all over the world (and no one address to point to, for
> the resources)

To be honest, I don't see the use of people.ubuntu.com.

When you declare it like "people.debian.org", it's not. When you declare
it like "people.redhat.com", most probably it's the same.
On people.redhat.com, only employees are allowed to have access, no
outsiders (at least this was the policy in 2001, and I think it didn't
change).

Having MOTU resources widespread, is a bad thing, I agree, but using
company (and
AFAIK people.ubuntu.com is restricted to people with canonical network
access through
vpn or whatever) resources, I don't like it either.

Having something like people.ubuntu-motu.org is what I would prefer.
Hopefully, we can find a sponsor who is sponsoring MOTU this resource
(hello HP, Dell, IBM, SUN).

Even if I do like the idea of having sponsored everything from Canonical
Inc., I do dislike the idea of being someone
who can't find other sponsors for the MOTU project.

I do appreciate the  Canonical Inc. commitment to the MOTUs, means
having Daniel be the MOTU Canonical2Community&ViceVersa spokesman is
very good,
and I'm glad that his employer gave him the opportunity to work with
MOTUs fulltime,
but I think it is also very important that at least MOTU Team itself is
a bit "free" of Canonicals sponsored "paid" services.
We had tiber sponsored by Canonical in former times, right, but now MOTU
is somehow bigger, and we could deal with resources by ourselves.

This is nothing against Canonical Inc. as sponsor, the opposite is the
case. I would like to see the MOTUs
a bit outside of the Canonical Universe regarding server resources.

Having a server from the LoCo Team, and having a team responsible for
the servers, outside of Canonical, is a great idea,
but I don't think that this will help MOTU, because we are in need of
different resources for our work, and our tools are not drupal or php.

Well, anyways, this was my 2 €-Cent to this  topic

regards,

\sh