Postfix as the default MTA?

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Mon Sep 17 16:08:58 BST 2007

On Monday 17 September 2007 10:54, Reinhard Tartler wrote:
> Martin Pitt <martin.pitt at ubuntu.com> writes:
> > Soren Hansen [2007-09-14 19:02 +0200]:
> >> So, the question here is: Does anyone have any objections to
> >>
> >> a) our preferring postfix over exim4?
> >
> > I generally prefer postfix, too, it's much easier to configure. But if
> > someone does not already have a MTA installed, then he probably does
> > not care too much either, and it does not make much of a difference
> > which MTA he ends up with.
> >
> >> or
> >> b) carrying a diff against Debian for this purpose alone?
> >
> > I'd rather drop those deltas if we don't have other changes.
> >
> > My 2¢,
>
> Is this a public vote?
>
> If yes, I agree with Martin fully. (however I prefer exim4 over postfix,
> but this doesn't contribute to this discussion).

I think it makes perfect sense to change exim4|mail-transfer-agent to postfix|
mail-transfer-agent if making other changes.

I'm less sure about it as a standalone change.

If these dependencies were all changed and there were no Main redepends on
Exim4, would it be allowed to drop to Universe?  Given that the server team
has not picked up Exim4 as one of the packages it is monitoring/maintaining,
would this be a bad thing?

If we want to have one MTA in Main that the server team is supporting (and we
are supporting Postfix), then I think changing the depends as a standalone
change makes sense.  Otherwise, I tend to think not.

Scott K