Consolidating the various freezes

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at
Fri Sep 14 16:30:40 BST 2007

Matthew East [2007-09-14 14:33 +0100]:
> Hi,
> On 14/09/2007, Martin Pitt <martin.pitt at> wrote:
> >  * StringFreeze and ArtworkDeadline should be subsumed under
> >   UserInterfaceFreeze.
> >From a documentation point of view, that might be slightly difficult,
> given that documentation is currently covered by string freeze, and
> yet it is potentially affected by artwork and strings changing in
> programs (such as menus or ui buttons).

This strikes me as a meta-issue. UI and String freeze for the distro
particularly exist to give documentation writers and translators a
fixed target to work on. Thus I think it does not make much sense to
cover the documentation *itself* with the same string freeze that
applies to the actual distro.

Documentation might need its own (later) string freeze to allow
translators to catch up, but that's a different level IMHO.

> For these sorts of cases it strikes me that actually the freeze system
> is a bit inflexible, and what we really want is a period of time
> during when UI string changes are possible, but where they are
> relevant to documentation, get notified to the docteam and can be
> quickly fixed before it becomes impossible to change any strings in
> documentation. I believe Gnome has a notification period like this,
> and it seems to work.

This does sound useful in any case.

Martin Pitt
Ubuntu Developer