Using tags to describe distribution patches, call for comments

Sebastien Bacher seb128 at ubuntu.com
Mon Nov 19 21:48:32 GMT 2007

On lun, 2007-11-19 at 18:28 +0000, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 19, 2007 at 03:22:11PM +0100, Sebastien Bacher wrote:
> > The desktop team will start using tags in the distribution patches to
> > describe what they are doing, the corresponding upstream and ubuntu
> > bugs, etc.

> > The corresponding Debian bug number. Debian is a special upstream and
> > that would allow to use the same tag directly in the Debian package
>
> You mean "bug URL" instead of  "bug number", right? (as indicated by _uri)

Yes, I was considering using the bug number but the URL option is
easier

> > The description of the change
> >
> > * UbuntuSpecic: yes
> > * Rational: why the change is specific to ubuntu
>
> If the rationale applies only to the UbuntuSpecific field, and not to the
> patch itself, then it should either be named accordingly or merged into
> UbuntuSpecific, so as not to be confusing.

The rational is an explanation of why the patch is distribution
specific, that could be in the description but having a different tag
makes clear that the information is required.

> > To use when a change is specific to Ubuntu and should not be sent
> > upstream. The rational would explain why the change doesn't need to go
> > upstream, for example if that's a distribution customization choice.
>
> There are probably some very common cases here which could have standard
> abbreviations.
>
> e.g.
>
> UbuntuSpecific: yes (branding)
> UbuntuSpecific: yes (policy)
>
> as an idea.

I think that's a good idea. Having keywords will allow to make
categories (like listing the branding patches) and it's easier to use
than having to write a description

Cheers,

Sebastien Bacher