pcre3 update

Kees Cook kees at ubuntu.com
Wed Nov 14 23:10:05 GMT 2007

I've been preparing a pcre3 update[1], and it will be in -proposed
shortly.  This is a major-version update (though ABI compatible), and
while I have tested it and found no regressions yet, I would like to
get a wider test audience (as recommended to me by Martin).

Can people test the packages once they've built and comment on the bug
with a "works for me in $release"?  So far, I have done testing via
pcretest, Konqueror, and Apache, where all continue to work well.

While handling the upload approval, Tollef suggested creating a policy
note for this.  I've re-arranged it slightly to read[2]:

"In the rare cases when a security update must include a major version
update, it should, if possible, go to -proposed first for testing.
Any upload by a security team member to -proposed for a security
vulnerability will get accepted immediately without ack from ubuntu-sru
(similar to how regular security fixes being installed into -updates
happen without ack)."

How does that sound?

Thanks,

-Kees