"Report a Bug" menu item and its potential effects

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Fri Mar 30 08:29:47 BST 2007

Hi,

Matthew Paul Thomas [2007-03-20 15:44 +1200]:
> Having recently started using Feisty, I noticed the "Report a Bug" item
> in the Help menu for most applications. In bug 93350, Martin Pitt said
> that this menu item will be present not only during Feisty development,
> but also in the final 7.04 release. <https://launchpad.net/bugs/93350>

In yesterday's meeting we discussed that, and the consensus was that
we drop the 'Report a bug' item in the System menu until we get a
proper guiding towards describing the problem, see Matt Zimmerman's
reply. We will, however, keep the per-application ones, since this
will automatically set the right package, can run package hooks, are
much more likely to get sensible descriptions, and the devs made good
experience with it.

Whether or not we will keep apport crash reports still remains to be
decided. I'll write a separate mail about that.

Thank you!

Martin
--
Martin Pitt        http://www.piware.de