Looking for mentor for Google SoC idea - application start prefetching

Krzysztof Lichota krzysiek at lichota.net
Tue Mar 20 12:34:55 GMT 2007

I am looking for mentor in Ubuntu team for my Google Summer of Code idea
- "Automatic boot and application start file prefetching".

Abstract:
I would like to concentrate on delivering prefetching solution for
everyday use by casual users, leveraging prior solutions where
appropriate and providing missing parts of complete and automatic
prefetching:

- Hook into application startup for analysis and prefetching.
- Add lightweight tracing solution for booting and application startup.
- Add offline tool to change layout of files on disk for faster prefetching.
- Add prefetching of filesystem metadata.

Implementation will be concentrated on most important parts (subject to
analysis of benefit and implementation complexity) with the main goal to
deliver working automatic solution at the end of project, leaving less
obvious benefits as secondary goals. Filesystem specific parts will be
done for ext3 as default file system in Ubuntu and most often used for
desktops.

Full text of application:
http://www.mimuw.edu.pl/~lichota/soc2007-prefetch/application.html

Comments about idea are also welcome :)