bzr for packaging

David Farning dfarning at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 01:52:03 GMT 2007

On Thu, 2007-03-08 at 16:41 -0800, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> Martin and I are interested in feedback about bzr-builddeb, similar tools,
> and any other practices around using bzr for packaging.
>
> What are you doing?  What works well?  What is painful?
>
> Thanks for your input.
> On (26/02/07 12:31), Martin Pool wrote:
> > I think there was discussion a while ago about bzr-buildpackage (??) or
> > tools for maintaining packages in Bazaar.
> >
> > I do know of https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BzrMaintainerHowto

Building packages from bzr is of great interest to Ubuntu derivatives.

Derivatives would like to maintain distributed branches containing their
own patch sets which can be merged against an common Ubuntu upstream.
For the most part the derivative patch set are mostly branding,
value-added features, and other customizations.

Ubuntu would benefit by making it very easy for derivatives to push
valuable patches up to the Ubuntu trunk so that the derivative don't
have to maintain them.

Is is possible to set up a 'proof of concept' package built using
bzr-builddeb so that I can demonstrate it to some of derivatives that I
have been talking to?

--
David Farning <dfarning at gmail.com>