pbuilder build-dependency resolution speedup

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Thu Mar 8 20:57:08 GMT 2007

On Thu, Mar 08, 2007 at 10:19:25AM +0100, Michael Vogt wrote:
> Dear Friends,
>
> people (well, dholbach) have been complaining about pbuilder being
> slow when it resolves build dependencies.
>
> I looked into this a couple of days ago and it turned out that the
> used script is not optimal. I wrote a new one that uses gdebi and that
> should speedup the calculation significantly (one pass instead of one
> pass per b-d and b-c). Its not default yet as it got little testing so
> far, but if you feel that your pbuilder is too slow, just change:
>
> PBUILDERSATISFYDEPENDSCMD="/usr/lib/pbuilder/pbuilder-satisfydepends"
> PBUILDERSATISFYDEPENDSCMD="/usr/lib/pbuilder/pbuilder-satisfydepends-gdebi"
>
> Feedback is welcome of course :)

A good way to get lots of testing would be to make it the default for
pbuilder.  It could print a visible message explaining that a new dependency
resolver is being tested, notifying the user that they can set
PBUILDERSATISFYDEPENDSCMD if it doesn't work for them.  That way any serious
bugs should be chased out quickly, without blocking anyone's work for long.

--
 - mdz