ubuntu-devel and ubuntu-devel-discuss

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Tue Mar 6 16:25:52 GMT 2007

On Tue, Mar 06, 2007 at 03:59:12PM +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Matt Zimmerman writes ("Re: ubuntu-devel and ubuntu-devel-discuss"):
> > In addition to the problem I explained in my previous message (that such
> > instructions are often disregarded), the appropriate reply address depends
> > on which list the user is reading.  Replies to messages on
> > ubuntu-devel-discuss should be directed back to that list only, rather than
> > to ubuntu-devel.  This means that the reply instructions can't be set by the
> > sender, but must be added by the mailing list, something which is often
> > controversial.
>
> I don't think this is the right approach.  The replies to any
> particular message should go to one place.  If the head article is
> crossposted, there should nevertheless be one place where the followup
> discussion will happen.

This principle conflicts with my earlier position that developers should be
able to follow only -devel, and not -devel-discuss.  Therefore, to post
something to -devel which is only intended to be followed on -discuss is
problematic.

Do you have a rationale for your position?

> But if you don't agree with that and want to segregate the discussion,
> the original poster can just send two copies of the head article with
> different headers, to the different lists.

That's a good point; it's somewhat inconvenient, but would seem to give the
semantics that I think are desirable.

--
 - mdz