Restructuring the debugging wiki pages

Henrik Nilsen Omma henrik at ubuntu.com
Sun Mar 4 21:45:56 GMT 2007

In an effort to improve the debugging workflow and to reduce the barrier
to entry for helping out we are re-evaluating the structure of the
debugging wiki pages.

One proposal is to change the URL naming scheme so that it corresponds
directly to the package names. This would make it easier to make use of
the information via tools like launchpad and bughelper, and it will be
more clear where we need to add further information (where the pages are
missing).

The URLs would become:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/debugging/<package-name>

However this means we'd get a very large number of pages, and many would
not be very useful. As an example, we currently have a
DebuggingTelepathy page, and several packages with the word 'telepathy'
in the title, but no simple 'telepathy' package.  We also have several
pages that are more general, including DebuggingGNOME and
DebuggingUSBStorage. Such grouping seems useful in many cases.

Instead I propose we stick largely to the current page naming scheme of
Debugging<PageName>, where <PageName> may or may not be a package name.
The pages should be based on a common template, as with the spec pages.
Here is a first draft template page:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingTemplate

In addition we should have a few generic pages:

 - Debugging - The landing page with a brief overview of the available
information.
 - DebuggingUbuntu - Generic advice on debugging in Ubuntu.
 - DebuggingPageIndex - link packages to debugging pages (see
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingPageIndex)

Henrik