Accepted mdadm 2.6.2-1ubuntu1 (source)

Christofer C. Bell christofer.c.bell at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 17:22:12 BST 2007

On 7/13/07, Matt Zimmerman <mdz at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> I'm inclined to agree.  Bringing up a degraded array, and allowing the admin
> to recover it in a normal administration scenario, should always be better
> than failing the boot.

Allowing the array to come up degraded is the default behavior in
Veritas.  The goal is availability.  Degraded or not, the data is
available.  It's available during the drive failure, and should be
available after a reboot.

> If the concern is over data consistency, is it not possible to bring it up
> read-only?

I'm not convinced that any action other than "bring up the array
read-write in degraded mode" is necessary.  This ensures data and
application availability and allows the administrator to take action
while the system is up and running (one of the key points to using
RAID, along with ensuring data is not lost to drive failure).

--
Chris

memes don't exist -- tell your friends