Accepted mdadm 2.6.2-1ubuntu1 (source)

Scott James Remnant scott at ubuntu.com
Fri Jul 13 12:31:39 BST 2007

On Thu, 2007-07-12 at 18:17 +0300, Marius Gedminas wrote:

> > > This won't work if a drive is removed; we can't tell the
> difference
> > > between that and a drive just hasn't been inserted or detected yet.
> >
> > It seems to me that this should be configurable then. The default could
> > be to abort booting if the array is not complete with instructions how
> > to boot in degraded mode, and add documentation to the ubuntu-server
> > guide how to make the server boot without interaction in degraded mode
> > if a disk is missing.
>
> If both are possible, what are the downsides of having it come up in
> degraded mode by default?

It would only come up in cases where one of the disks is still present,
but has failed (bad metadata, etc.) - if the disk is physically missing,
it would not come up.

This is probably a good compromise anyway.

The primary disadvantage is the implementation; if anyone fancies
hacking on this, what you would probably need to do is have something
that checks the state of each array.

You should only take action if all expected disks have appeared; it is
normal during the boot for disks to be "missing", so should not start
the array in that mode.

Action may include using spare drives, etc.

It would be an interesting contribution for a developer, and I would be
happy to review it.

Probably Touches:
 - udev
 - mdadm