Bug workflow - a wider view

William Tracy afishionado at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 21:57:13 BST 2007

On 7/6/07, Matt Zimmerman <mdz at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> What, exactly, do you see as the difference between a user submitting a bug
> to Debian using their email client, and using Launchpad?  The resulting bug
> will be essentially identical, except for linking the bugs to each other
> (does debbugs have Launchpad bug watches?).

I think this is what the worry is:

Scenario 1: User is brand-new to Linux, and encounters a problem.
He/she successfully figures out how to report a bug in Launchpad. The
user notices a button to "report to Debian". The person has never even
heard of "Debian", has no idea if the problem should be reported to
Debian, and clicks the button on a whim. The problem then turns out to
be an Ubuntu-specific bug, that cannot be reproduced on Debian. The
Debian maintainer gets annoyed at the extra email.

Scenerio 2: Same as scenario 1, but the original problem is not even a
bug--it's simple user error. The Debian maintainer gets really annoyed
at the extra email.

Scenario 3: Scenarios 1 or 2 happen fifty times in a row with fifty
different clueless users. The Debian maintainer calls for heads to
roll.

--
William Tracy
afishionado at gmail.com -- wtracy at calpoly.edu

I'm right now looking for a summer software engineering internship in
northern California! My resume is online here:
http://wiki.java.net/bin/view/People/WilliamTracy