New feature: easy codec installation, please test

Sebastien Bacher seb128 at ubuntu.com
Tue Jan 30 11:32:43 GMT 2007

Hi,

During the distro sprint we did the remaining changes to get a working
EasyCodecInstallation [1] on feisty, thank to Ian Jackson, Tim-Philipp
Müller and Michael Vogt for their work on that specification.

Using the current packages, if you try to open a file from
totem-gstreamer without having the required codecs installed
gnome-app-install will be started and make easy for you to install the
corresponding packages.

For example, trying to play a mp3 from the stock installation will
suggest to install gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly. If you don't have
universe activated, and want to use it, gnome-app-install will that easy
for you as well. There is no need to restart the application after the
plugin installation, the file should just start playing.

Feedback on that new feature is welcome, feel free to open bugs with the
"easy-codec-installation tag or to reply that mail

Michael is going to do a gnome-app-install update today fixing some
glitches we noticed, you might want to wait and try with the new version
before opening a bug on it

Sebastien Bacher

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/EasyCodecInstallation