Source package Maintainer fields

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Tue Jan 16 20:38:24 GMT 2007

On Fri, Jan 12, 2007 at 11:22:05AM +0100, Martin Pitt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Jordan Mantha [2007-01-11 18:50 -0800]:
> > For packages with an ubuntuX version:
> >
> > * If the Maintainer field has an @ubuntu.com address, leave it alone
> >
> > * If not, change Maintainer: to:
> >  - Ubuntu Core Developers <ubuntu-devel-discuss at lists.ubuntu.com> for Main and Restricted
> > packages (I think this is right according to [2] )
> >  - Ubuntu MOTU Developers <ubuntu-motu at lists.ubuntu.com> for Universe and Multiverse packages
> >  - if there is a more appropriate Ubuntu contact use it instead of the above
>
> The spec [1] also talks about something to automate this. Does
> something like that exist already? Where should this be integrated,
> into dch?

No, it doesn't exist already, and that was intended as a one-time process
for packages which have already been modified.  That is, it should be
straightforward to do an automated upload of all modified source packages to
change the maintainer to an Ubuntu address.

In order to ensure that this field is updated when new packages are
modified, this should be added at least to dpkg-buildpackage (as a check, to
warn or even fail the build if it isn't set corectly) and possibly to dch as
you suggest.

Can you take responsibility for these tasks?

--
 - mdz