HardDiskProtection spec

Ben Collins ben.collins at ubuntu.com
Wed Jan 10 16:40:40 GMT 2007

On Mon, 2007-01-08 at 15:33 +0100, Florian Hackenberger wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I would like to have your opinions on the following specification:
> https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+spec/hard-disk-shock-protection
>
> As mentioned here:
> http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=37640655
> Someone is working to get this into debian as well.
>
> I involves patching the Ubuntu kernel, which is quite obviously invasive,
> therefore I would like to know what the Ubuntu kernel developers think. Is
> the patch alright? Can it be applied before feisty is released? Missing
> things on the spec wiki page
> (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardDiskShockProtection)? How to proceed to get this
> patch into the kernel?

Can't be done for feisty release. In fact, I would prefer to avoid any
such invasive patches. Makes maintaining the kernel more difficult.
Here's a link to the kernel teams stance on patches like this:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelPatches

That's not to say this is a definite "NO", but it does mean you have a
lot of work convincing me that it's important enough to make our lives
more difficult :)

My suggestion, work with that project to get patches like this
integrated with upstream kernel. When I see a patch like this that
claims to be so important and useful, I first wonder why it's a patch,
and not in the kernel proper.