Transition to Ubuntu specific Maintainer: fields

Jordan Mantha mantha at ubuntu.com
Wed Feb 21 04:56:06 GMT 2007

Martin Pitt wrote:
<snip>
>   Ubuntu Core Developers <ubuntu-devel-discuss at lists.ubuntu.com>
>
> for packages in main and restricted, and
>
>   Ubuntu MOTU Developers <ubuntu-motu at lists.ubuntu.com>
>
> for packages in universe and multiverse.
>
> However, if a particular package deserves a more specific contact,
> then it is encouraged to use a personal or team mailing list contact
> (however, it must be an @ubuntu.com address).
<snip>

This change has caused a bit of an interesting effect on Launchpad.
Since ubuntu-devel-discuss at lists.ubuntu.com and
ubuntu-motu at lists.ubuntu.com where not associated with any person/team
on LP two new "people" (~ubuntu-motu and ~ubuntu-devel-discuss) were
created when the first packages were uploaded under the new policy.
These means the Maintainer: feisty in LP links to ~ubuntu-motu instead
of ~ubuntu-dev for Universe packages and ~ubuntu-devel-discuss instead
of ~ubuntu-core-dev for Main packages. An example is gem [0].

I've asked a few Launchpad people about this issue and it doesn't seem
straightforward to fix. It seems like the simplest solution would be add
the list addresses used for the Maintainer field could be as the contact
address for ~ubuntu-dev and ~ubuntu-core-dev. The only issue I can see
is that LP would send bug email and team change email to the lists. It
might be cool if there was an LP option to have LP *not* send emails to
the contact addresses.

What do people think?

-Jordan Mantha

[0] https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gem