FTBFS and piuparts failures lists for feisty

Lucas Nussbaum lucas at lucas-nussbaum.net
Fri Feb 2 08:34:50 GMT 2007

Hi,

I rebuilt all source packages in feisty, and ran piuparts on all binary
packages.

The list of failures for both tests are available on
http://people.debian.org/~lucas/logs/2007/02/01/
(too bad there's no people.u.c for MOTUs...)

Numbers:
========
rebuilt 12201 packages, 664 failed to build
tested 20464 using piuparts, 848 tests failed

Various details:
================
* all tests were done in i386 chroot on amd64 systems. This is known to
cause problems with sablevm, so some build failures of java packages
might be caused by that.

* builds were run as root. This makes a few packages fail to build
(aegis, subversion, ...)

* internet was not accessible from the nodes. This makes a few packages
fail to build, and makes a few more fail to install.

* I rebuilt and tested using piuparts packages from main, restricted and
universe.

* Piuparts tests generate quite a lot of false positives. There's a list
of known FP on [1], but the list was generated using debian etch, so
packages not in etch won't be on that list. Common sources of FP are:
  + the package need a configured DBMS (mysql, pgsql) to install
  + the package reads info directly from stdin

* piuparts can detect a lot of "minor" problems (like dangling symlinks
after package removal). Here, "failed" means that the package failed to
install.

* the tags (e.g HEADER_NO_SUCH_FILE/NO_SUCH_FILE/GCC_ERROR) are
regexp-based indications of which kind of failure to expect (see
parse-logs-* in [2] for details). The script is quite dump and might be
wrong, of course.

* Many of those bugs were fixed in Debian Etch, so that's probably the
first place to look for a fix (29/10217 packages failed to build, and
that's mostly false positives)

* Don't hesitate to ping me if you cannot reproduce a specific failure.
Also, ping me when you think I should run those tests again (I can run
them overnight).

[1] http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/collab-qa/debcluster/scripts/piuparts/piuparts.untestable?op=file&rev=0&sc=0
[2] http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/collab-qa/log-analysis/?rev=0&sc=0

Computing resources were provided by the Grid'5000 project. Grid'5000 is
an highly reconfigurable experimental Grid platform gathering 9 sites
and featuring a total of 5000 CPUs. It serves as a testbed for research
in Grid Computing. See https://www.grid5000.fr/
--
| lucas at lucas-nussbaum.net   http://www.lucas-nussbaum.net/ |
| jabber: lucas at nussbaum.fr             GPG: 1024D/023B3F4F |