Strawman: merge main and universe

Emmet Hikory emmet.hikory at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 15:37:05 GMT 2007

On Dec 18, 2007 11:38 PM, Mark Shuttleworth wrote:
>  I do think we need a richer privileges system for upload - we specifically
> need to solve the problem that people who care about a package in universe
> don't lose the ability to tend to it when it moves to main. But that should
> be the exception, rather than the rule. In other words, I would layer
> explicit additional permissions for packages, and (small) sets of packages,
> on top of our existing main/universe permissions. That way, when a package,
> or small set of tightly-linked packages, wants to migrate from universe to
> main, it can come with a dedicated group who can continue to upload to it
> even though it's in main.

    As an interim solution until a richer permissioning model is
available, would the use of the Uploaders field (perhaps combined with
Original-Maintainer) be a good way to handle this?  If uploads remain
restricted to members of ~ubuntu-dev, but uploads to main are
permitted by members of ~ubuntu-core-dev + those in the Uploaders
field (who are also in ~ubuntu-dev), it would allow interested MOTU to
upload to select packages in main with only minor disruption.  As
teams grow larger over time, this won't scale, but it at least
provides a little more breathing room whilst determining how to build
an effective privileges system that meets the needs of developers,
sponsors selling support contracts, and archive integrity.

--
Emmet HIKORY