ubufox 0.4~beta1 - new features for ubuntu firefox
asac at jwsdot.com
Fri Aug 17 11:26:01 BST 2007
just in time for feature freeze I uploaded ubufox 0.4~beta1 which
ships two hot ubuntu firefox features proposed by the
1. Apt-Enabled Plugin Finder Wizard
You can now select ubuntu packages in the plugin finder wizard 
. I have setup a testpage so you can trigger this new feature to
see it in action .
To test the multi-content () use-case you might want to uninstall
your current flash plugin and press the "Install Missing Plugins
2. Extension Manager gnome-app-install integration
The addons dialog has now a link ("Get Ubuntu Addons" ) that starts
gnome-app-install with all firefox xul-extensions we have in the
TODO for gutsy final
+ UI polishing:
- improve layout of origin-icons displayed on the right-side of each
plugin finder result (e.g. align them to the right)
- add tooltip information for the origin-icons so people get an idea
what they mean when they hover them with the mouse
- rename link in Addons dialog to read "Get Ubuntu Extensions"
- make the multi-content case  use one wizard page per content-type.
+ Plugin Finder Webservice:
- find a home for production!
- enable plugin finder webservice to add official pfs.mozilla.org
results as well. For now i had to disable it because rookery doesn't
allow outbound connections through https. A complete plugin finder
webservice is available on my DSL line.
If you want to test how it looks like please change your
pfs.datasource.url in about:config like:
s/people.ubuntu.com\/~asac/jxtaim.dyndns.org\/~alex/ and you should
see a plugin result page for flash that looks like .
+ Permission checks:
- when you don't have permissions to install debs through synaptic,
the apt results shouldn't pop-up in plugin-finder-wizard. We will do
that by checking the unix-groups the current UID is in.
Many thanks to (alphabetic order):
* Hilario J. Montoliu (hjmf) - plugin package meta data
* Michael Vogt (mvo) - apturl implementation as well as sponsoring
gnome-app-install + app-install-data packages
* Sasa Bodiroza (jazzva) (my MOTU student) - ubufox implementation +
putting together the app-install-data for our extensions
* Sebastian Heinlein (glatzor) - gnome-app-install improvements
 - https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/firefox-distro-addon-support
 - http://people.ubuntu.com/~asac/pfs/screens/pfs1.png
 - http://people.ubuntu.com/~asac/pfs/screens/pfs2.png
 - http://people.ubuntu.com/~asac/pfs/test/2_multicontent.html
 - http://people.ubuntu.com/~asac/pfs/screens/Screenshot-Get-Ubuntu-Add-ons.png
 - http://people.ubuntu.com/~asac/pfs/screens/gai-xul-extensions.png
 - http://people.ubuntu.com/~asac/pfs/screens/pfs3.png
Please test and have fun,
More information about the ubuntu-devel