Compiz by default ?

Stephan Hermann sh at sourcecode.de
Wed Aug 15 12:52:40 BST 2007

Hi Michael, all,

Michael Vogt wrote:
> Dear Friends,
>

> one of the goals for this cycle was to enable compiz by default for
> all systems where this is feasible. We added a detection from Tribe-2
> on to see if the system is able to run compiz and turn it on then.
> This detection works well and we are happy with the results.
>
> We still need to discuss if we should enable compiz by default for the
> final release or not. This discussion was started yesterday by
> Matthew Garrett at the techboard meeting and it was decided that this
> needs to be discussed in a wider forum.

[...]

To make this a short answer:

I think it's quite important to test this feature on a variety of hardware,
and it should be enabled by default during development cycle.
For the final release of gutsy, we should disable this feature by default,
and tell give the user a very first html page, which explains, what new
features
gutsy has and how the user can enable them.
Further reading (e.g. a link to a wiki page with release notes) can give
the user the rational
behind this decision.

Thinking about the future (gutsy+1) we can go and enable this feature by
default or automagically guess
if it can be enabled by default.

Regards,

\sh