Network Manager as part of default install

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Thu Apr 5 16:23:30 BST 2007

On Wed, Apr 04, 2007 at 06:05:17PM -0700, Brian Murray wrote:
> After the release of Feisty Fawn beta I have seen quite a few bug
> reports from users who have upgraded from Edgy to Feisty and are having
> difficulty with their network connections.  The most common scenario
> involves a user who has manually configured their network connection in
> their '/etc/network/interfaces' file and did not use network-manager in
> Edgy.  They then upgrade to Feisty where network-manager is installed by
> default and have difficulty accessing their network.  I try to have them
> remove the configuration in '/etc/network/interfaces' and let
> network-manager control the device.  However, some have been removing
> network-manager all together.

network-manager should ignore interfaces which have been manually
configured.  This is not ideal, but it shouldn't cause them any problems,
and people who have manually configured their network should know how to
correct the problem, as they clearly know how to change their network
settings.

Usually, the correct thing to do is to set the interface to "automatic".

> I believe that this will generate enough bug reports or support tickets
> that we should provide as much information about the changes when using
> network-manager.  I think mentioning it in the release notes and
> update-manager (dist-upgrade part) would be worth while.  Are there any
> other places that we could announce this change?

Yes, this should be documented in the release notes.  CCing the doc team for
input.

> Bug reports showing this
> [1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/network-manager/+bug/96521
> [2] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/102448