Automatic crash reports in the final release

Daniel Holbach daniel.holbach at ubuntu.com
Tue Apr 3 12:17:15 BST 2007

Hello,

Am Freitag, den 30.03.2007, 10:06 +0200 schrieb Martin Pitt:
> (2) Keep apport itself enabled and have it stuff the dumps into
>     /var/crash, but disable the automatic frontend invocation in
>     update-notifier. This means a wasted processing overhead for
>     the vast majority of the crashes that will happen out there, but
>     the crash reports are retained, so that manually calling
>     apport-{gtk,qt,cli} will continue to work as usual. We could even
>     add a gconf key and a UI somewhere to re-enable it.

I think this is a good idea.

Just to bring some numbers into the discussion: last week I did an
initial triage of all unconfirmed/undecided apport bugs (ask for
retrace, set assignee, etc). Now the number is ~400. The Desktop Team is
following up on its apport bugs quite ok, other areas are not covered
well at all.

Also I think that most of the unique crashers will have been reported by
release anyway.

Have a nice day,
 Daniel