Proposal for solving CD Size problems

John Berthels jjberthels at gmail.com
Fri Sep 29 08:44:10 BST 2006

> I'll point out here that server-oriented machines may come only with a
> CD reader. I recently was able to install Linux on a new server we got
> here only because there was a CD installer. Of course, the server
> install disc is (hopefully) out of the purview of the the CD->DVD
> transition.

If a DVD is chosen as the default medium, I wonder how hard it would
be to provide a "burn me a server CD" (or burn me a (K/X/Edu)buntu CD)
from a liveDVD session? Perhaps it could be made to work on a system
with sufficient (1 Gig) of RAM, so the iso image could be created
whilst the DVD is in the drive, then written out in one pass to a
blank CD.

That would address the case above, but I don't know if it is common
enough to be worth the effort.

jb