Proposal for solving CD Size problems

Michael R. Head burner at suppressingfire.org
Fri Sep 29 02:46:35 BST 2006

On Tue, 2006-09-26 at 16:19 -0500, Steven Harms wrote:
> Since this discussion is all about people without dvd drives, at what
> point do we assume they have enough processing power to decompress the
> image hundreds of times per session?  I mean if they don't have a dvd
> drive, then they probably have < 256MB of ram, so when things are
> swapped in and out of ram massive decompressing will occur, and again
> the same goes with their processing power.

I'll point out here that server-oriented machines may come only with a
CD reader. I recently was able to install Linux on a new server we got
here only because there was a CD installer. Of course, the server
install disc is (hopefully) out of the purview of the the CD->DVD
transition.

I'll also point out that someone recently argued in an Ubuntu review
that delivering a CD install by default sends the message that people
are more likely to have broadband than a DVD reader (assuming that there
are a number of packages that users might want to install that are not
going to be on the Desktop CD).

mike

--
Michael R. Head <burner at suppressingfire.org>