Science-fiction ;-)

Andreas Lloyd lloydinho at gmail.com
Thu Sep 28 10:36:27 BST 2006

Gnu/Linux Technology wrote:
> Some crazy suggestions in absolut...based of what I do after an
> installation of Ububtu.

[...]
> Could there be a walk around to easily offer this option? Perhaps by
> enabling non-free repos in Synaptic?

Actually, most of the extras that you mention have already been
considered in the CommonCustomizations specification which was discussed
at the Ubuntu Summit in Paris: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CommonCustomizations

It has also been discussed extensively on the Ubuntu Forums:

Matt Zimmerman is working to add meta-packages to the Universe,
Multiverse and Commercial repositories to make it easy to install these
commonly added packages for Ubuntu.

If you read the spec, you will find a clear explanation of why various
commonly installed packages cannot be added to Ubuntu as a default.

Hope this helps,

Andreas