Proposal for solving CD Size problems

Christian Leber christian at
Wed Sep 27 23:16:46 BST 2006

On Wed, Sep 27, 2006 at 10:41:05PM +0100, Scott James Remnant wrote:
> > It's more, i compressed the Knot-3 live-cd with lzma:
> > 
> > -r--r--r--  2 root root 599M 2006-09-15 11:39 /media/cdrom0/casper/filesystem.squashfs
> > -rwx------  1 root root 529M 2006-09-27 15:14 mnt.squashlzma
> > 
> What patches did you use to do this?

Probably from Oleg, but I'm unsure (was january 2005), but i had to modify stuff, anyway the stuff is here:

I'm just pondering to make a squashfs3.1-r2 with lzma, but i'm unsure if
it's thread save, will see.

> It was the knot3 CD I recompressed with the patches at the URL I gave,
> and I got significantly different results than you.

Probably also bad options were used to speed the compression up... here
it took 77 minutes time on a 2 Ghz athlon64.

Apropos, I also have another mksquashfs:
Should save 1% or more and is also gzip, so completly compatible and a
drop in replacement:
(the gzip compression routine of 7zip is better)

Would make space for vim :-)))

Christian Leber


More information about the ubuntu-devel mailing list