Proposal for solving CD Size problems

t u towsonu2003 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 26 19:58:59 BST 2006

I have to disagree... (strongly)

Scott James Remnant wrote:

>   - For edgy+1, make the default distribution medium a DVD, not a CD.

what happens to those without a DVD ROM? Like most of the people who
have less money? that's discrimination. you can however make an optional
Desktop DVD.

>   - The DVD would be the current desktop CD, but with more room for all
>     the other pieces that we would like to ship.

which are?

>   - An additional DVD image with the remaining space taken up by
>     language packs and other packages from main could also be made
>     available.

so it's gonna be 2 DVDs? I don't see the point.

>   - The "alternate" disk would remain a CD, and would prompt the user
>     for the tasks they would like to install.  If would not contain the
>     complete ubuntu-desktop selection, if they wanted that, they would
>     need an Internet connection to install the rest.

now you're discriminating against those who do not have (or have slow)
internet connection. everyone should be able to have the "standard" that
ubuntu offers.

>   - More features in future releases (such as telepathy, compiz, etc.)
>     mean more space required

you could put them in an opional DVD desktop CD. This way, everyone
knows that stuff is for those who can afford a DVD player and graphics
card that support god 3D

>   - Recommended hardware[0] has now reached the point where we can
>     expect a DVD drive to be available

this means we are going overboard with the recommended hardware

>   - Recommended hardware also has significantly more available disk
>     space for the operating system than breezy, yet we don't take
>     advantage of this for edgy

this points out to the problem that rec. hardware is going too high.

>   - Users with existing installs and no DVD drive can upgrade using the
>     Internet as usual

I don't think dist-upgrade is a usual way to upgrade previous releases yet.

>   - Users installing on older hardware and unwilling to upgrade won't
>     want (or be able to use) may of the new features.  They would be
>     content with the cut-down "alternate" disk or with the supported
>     dapper release.

as someone who (now that you point out I need a DVD ROM in my desktop
PC) has old hardware, I strongly disagree.
>   - Vista and Mac OS X are distributed on DVD.

thank god we're not vista and mac os x.

>   - The server, edubuntu and Xubuntu derivatives may opt to still
>     distribute on a CD, and still deal with the CD sizing pain

xubuntu _is_ for real low-end machines. it has to stay with the CD. I
can't see that as an option.

> Arguments Against:
>
>   - Increased download size for those wishing to burn their own.
>
>     A downloadable DVD image without language packs and "stuff from the
>     archive" (just the Live image and installer) should negate part of
>     this.
>
>     The additional download cost otherwise will be things that the user
>     will probably want to install anyway
>
>   - Requires a DVD writer, which isn't yet entry-level.  The alternate
>     CD would still be available for those with a CD burner.
>
>   - Increased shipit cost; DVDs cost more to make than CDs?
>

> Alternatives:
>
>   - Remove existing features (OpenOffice?) from Ubuntu

????

>   - Stop putting new features into Ubuntu

make features installable:
a dialogue is all you need:
"do you want <list of features> available? you need an internet connection."

>   - Localised CDs (only one set of language support)

too many CDs

>   - Two CD distribution ("Please insert Disc 2" during Live boot/?!)

that I'm not against that.

> Discuss.

:)