Bug Triage Privileges

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Tue Sep 12 02:12:43 BST 2006

On Sun, Sep 10, 2006 at 10:30:20PM -0500, Rocco Stanzione wrote:
> When I say "triage" I refer to setting the importance of a bug, which I was
> sure until recently was the same thing.
>
> I understand the reasoning behind restricting the privilege.  I'm not sure I
> understand why it's been restricted to such a small group.  It's probably
> quite safe, for example, to give triaging privileges to all ubuntu members,
> and probably to all bugsquad members, though the selection process there is
> less formal.  Triaging bugs is, according to piles of wiki pages, a very
> useful way for a non-developer to contribute, but all or nearly all of those
> who are *able* to triage are developers.  Still more wiki pages and docs
> explain how to triage correctly, but none (that I could find) indicate how to
> get those privileges.  When I found out that it was restricted to -qa
> (and -dev and -core-dev), I inquired about getting membership in -qa and was
> told that it was a very elite group.  My opinion is that triaging bugs is not
> something that needs to be restricted to an elite group, most of whom have
> much more useful skills to apply to much more directly useful activities than
> triaging.  Was this policy not fully thought out, or has it not yet been
> fully implemented?  Or do I have a completely distorted view of the degree of
> reverence and solemnity appropriate for triaging bugs?

Can you be more specific about where you asked, who answered and what they
said?  This group is not meant to be "elite", but it is restricted so that
members can be verified to know the correct procedures for dealing with
bugs.

Simon, can you point to a page which documents the process for signing up?

--
 - mdz