Ubuntu Themes

Alex Jones alex at weej.com
Sat Sep 9 15:58:20 BST 2006

Hi

On Fri, 2006-09-08 at 19:11 +0200, Frank Schoep wrote:
> The artwork team has been working very hard for the past two months
> to create the current uploaded design (thanks guys). We started out
> by defining the artwork philosophy and narrowed down on directions

I appreciate the efforts involved, I just think that this is exactly the
core of the problem (if you can call it a problem) - the general
direction involved. I feel that the term "ubuntu" is dictating far more
than is necessary for this project to succeed.

I'll be honest with you. I feel alienated by it all. Call it a weakness
in character if you like but it's the truth. I love the concept of
"ubuntu" as much as the next guy, but when my desktop OS turns into
something that seems like I just brought it home from a safari holiday
in Africa it starts to grate me.

Of course, it's always a matter of taste and opinion, but for me SuSE
and Redhat have always been far more welcoming appearance-wise.

I can change my desktop and GDM theme, but it starts to get difficult
when we talk about usplash, grub and GNOME splash. These last three
components should be as neutral as it comes IMO, unless we can devise a
way to properly and consistently theme everything in one go.
--
Alex Jones <alex at weej.com>