Ubuntu becomes unusable - force fsck when needed

Soren Hansen sh at linux2go.dk
Thu Sep 7 22:44:37 BST 2006

On Fri, Sep 08, 2006 at 06:58:10AM +1000, David Kempe wrote:
> Sorry about the late post, but I have lost more files to ext3 screwups
> than xfs screwups.

I second this. I remember a few times where the contents of a file or
two have been replaced by NULL's with XFS on unclean shutdowns, but
that's it.  With ext3 I have on more than one occasion had to clean up
the mess that shows up when an ext3 filesystem runs full. They were
clients' production systems, so I couldn't pull the disks out to use
them for debugging later, so what exactly went wrong I don't know, but
MANY files were lost.

--
| Soren Hansen    | Linux2Go                  | http://Linux2Go.dk/ |
| Seniorkonsulent | Lindholmsvej 42, 2. TH    | +45 46 90 26 42     |