upstart -- call for wider testing

David Farning dfarning at gmail.com
Mon Sep 4 20:05:43 BST 2006

On Mon, 2006-09-04 at 19:41 +0100, Scott James Remnant wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-09-04 at 13:34 -0500, David Farning wrote:
> I'm not familar with sbackup, how does it operate?

It is a really simple backup program found in universe.  When testing
edgy, I just back up the home directoy and test until something breaks.
Then reinstall edgy and restore.

> If it's not operating from the boot sequence, I'm not sure upstart is
> responsible.  Have you tried restoring without it?
>
> > I couldn't boot after installing upstart.  That fine, things break in
> > edgy.  But when my backup fail to restore correctly my blood pressure
> > raises to unhealthy levels.
> >
> Why couldn't you boot?  What happened?  What package did you install?

I Installed upstart and upstart-compat-sysv packages from universe and
rebooted.

The splash appeared, got to mounting root.  On a 25X80 text screen I got
a message about tty2 failing and then respawning.  Then it just sat
there.

I didn't do much testing.  I just thought that I would restore and start
to document how I created the problem in the first place in order to
debug it.

I was using a pretty modified kernel, propritary ati driver, vmware....

I'll try to reproduce the problem this afternoon.

David