Ati Radeon Mobility LY M6 and Xorg 7.1

Rodrigo Parra Novo rodarvus at ubuntu.com
Fri Sep 1 17:37:59 BST 2006

On Fri, 2006-09-01 at 17:49 +0200, olivier blanc wrote:
> >    The open source 'ati' driver (do not confuse with closed source
> > 'fglrx') is already compatible with X.Org 7.1, and works with the video
> > chipset described above. If it doesn't works on your configuration (and
> > you *really* are using this driver), this is a bug, and you should open
> > a bug on LaunchPad, if possible.
>
> I tried both with and without fglrx driver. Without it, with both radeon
> or ati xorg driver, the xorg server answered that It could not start as
> the ATI/Radeon drivers wont load : ABI major number (set to 0) for the
> video driver is different as Xorg ABI major number (set to 1).
> The symptoms are close to what's described in
> http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-bugs-rc@lists.debian.org/msg68280.html

   Olivier, if you upgraded yesterday, and the video drivers say they
have ABI major number 0, something is probably nastily broken on your
system, because:

   a. the 'fglrx' driver is part of linux-restricted-modules-2.6.17. If
this package is up-to-date, so the driver must be. (thus, having ABI
version 1)

   b. the 'ati' driver is included on package 'xserver-xorg-video-ati',
this is a new package for Edgy, and should be installed during upgrade
*if* your system isn't broken. ('sudo apt-get install xorg' should say
it is already installed in this case)

   Anyhow, I really suggest you to open a bug on LaunchPad, if neither
'a' or 'b' are the reasons of your problem.

   Rodrigo