Notes on Beryl

Aren Olson reacocard at gmail.com
Mon Oct 30 15:26:02 GMT 2006

On 10/30/06, Mattias Eriksson <snaggen at acc.umu.se> wrote:

> mån 2006-10-30 klockan 14:14 +0100 skrev Martijn van de Streek:
> > On Mon, 30 Oct 2006, Thom May wrote:
> >
> > > 4) Integration into the rest of the desktop - respect pre-existing
> settings
> > > of number of workspaces, ensure that the workspace manager continues
> to work
> > > correctly, get rid of a lot of the "this window manager goes to 11!"
> options
> > > in the Settings Manager and make that a System/Preferences applet,
> etc.
> > > Also, the themes need to be manageable from the Themes applet (and
> ideally
> > > be the same as metacity themes).
> >
> > Also, it needs edge resistance (the metacity-feature I missed the most
> > when I tried compiz/beryl)
>
> Isn't it there? I think you must press shift when you move the window to
> make it snap to edges. But there is a setting to invert that behaviour
> (snap to edges on by default, shift turns it off).

That only snaps to the edge of the screen. metacity has edge resistance for
window borders as well.

IMHO, Beryl isn't ready for being the default WM yet. It's come a long way,
but there are still too many little details like this that need to be worked
out first. Also, not everyone has a computer capable of running beryl.

--
"Whoever said sunshine brings happiness has never danced in the rain." - K.
Jackson