Two potentially crazy ideas for Feisty

Chris Wagner chris.t.wagner.1 at ohiou.edu
Fri Oct 27 16:12:37 BST 2006

On Fri, 2006-10-27 at 07:34 -0700, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 26, 2006 at 07:43:27PM -0400, Evan Dandrea wrote:
> > Would it be feasible to maintain a database of known-to-have-issues
> > hardware, keyed against the hardware ID and used by a
> > post-installation utility that links the user up with the appropriate
> > help.ubuntu.com page via a libnotify popup.
>
> We'd already like to do something like this, in fact.  But rather than
> notify the user about every piece of hardware, I think we should provide a
> link from Device Manager to direct them to relevant web resources.

I wouldn't consider myself a novice Ubuntu user, and I don't think I
would discover such a feature.  Perhaps it would be good to give a
libnotify pop-up only for hardware that is likely to be troublesome
(like that which requires you to install firmware, for example, a
Broadcom wireless device).

...But libnotify pop-up's don't quite seem like the right UI for that...

Chris Wagner