Firefox outcome (Re: Is Ubuntu going to adapt Ice Weasel?)

Toby Smithe toby.smithe at gmail.com
Mon Oct 23 21:46:52 BST 2006

On Mon, 2006-10-23 at 13:37 -0700, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 23, 2006 at 07:25:34PM +0100, Toby Smithe wrote:
> > Indeed, I think it is a good outcome. I am still a bit peeved by the
> > lack of freedom this represents.
>
> The Mozilla folks have every right to protect their trademark, and to
> request that it be used only in ways which meet with their approval.  The
> practical issues associated with this will not, I expect, be nearly as
> problematic as has been supposed, and Ubuntu and Mozilla will both benefit
> tremendously from a closer working relationship.

Yeah. I'm on the fence. Whilst I understand and appreciate that vendors
need to protect their trademarks, I think that they should be more
lenient. It's not as if the modifications that distributions were making
to the product were changing it significantly. But then again, what is
"significantly"? When do you enforce the trademark and when not? It's
rather open-ended, and in this case, the decision to co-operate was the
wise choice.