mathusalem into 7.04

Who mailforwho at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 23 03:50:43 BST 2006

On 10/22/06, Ivan Krstić <krstic at solarsail.hcs.harvard.edu> wrote:
> Christoffer Sørensen wrote:
> > Because he was against it for inclusion in Gnome, does not mean that
> > it cannot be included in Ubuntu.
>
> Did you read Steve's message? He is pointedly *not* against inclusion in
> Gnome; he is against inclusion in Gnome 2.18, as he believes the
> component needs some serious work that he's not able to do on the 2.18
> timeline. Instead, he is likely to propose it for inclusion in 2.20.
>
> It would make little sense for Ubuntu to include code considered
> unsuitable for inclusion by the upstream author. The correct course of
> action is more probably to postpone this for Feisty+1, where it is
> likely to be included in Gnome proper.

I don't know enough about the details of how much is likely to change
- so I won't givve an opinion either way, but I will point out that a
recent discussion on gnome-dekstop-devel stated that having modules
included in a distro was a precursor to their inlusion in Gnome,
rather than the other way around...

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2006-October/msg00183.html

I think someone clarified this more formally but I can't find it :S

Basically - we shouldn't stop just because it isn't in Gnome yet

Jonathan