move the ubuntu irc channels to jabber ?

Jerry Haltom wasabi at larvalstage.net
Sat Oct 21 23:30:29 BST 2006

I will be for this position, like most positions, when the benefits
outweigh the downsides.  Right now I see too many downsides.

1) You don't have to DO ANYTHING to get on IRC, just open a client. On
Jabber you need to setup or find a server and register with it.
2) Most of the existing Jabber clients... suck. Sorry. Maybe they work
okay on the user's side, but for managing a channel, kicking people,
RUNNING BOTS, there is just too much missing.

At the same time, I do see us moving there in the future, WHEN it
becomes a de-facto standard. When everybody has a Jabber client, and
when you open up Ubuntu and it's accessible by default.