Urgent call for testing: Firefox 2.0RC3

Arwyn Hainsworth arwynh+ubuntu at gmail.com
Sat Oct 21 21:10:37 BST 2006

On 21/10/06, Jan Claeys <lists at janc.be> wrote:

> Op zaterdag 21-10-2006 om 08:07 uur [tijdzone +0900], schreef Arwyn
> Hainsworth:
> > As far as I'm concerned, fixing a bug that can cause data loss is more
> > important than keeping backwards compatibility.
> > You might say I'm slightly biased in this matter however, since I've
> > lost data to this bug a number of times now and I was very pleased to
> > hear it was finally fixed.
>
> I have lost more data by accidentally pressing Ctrl-W or by clicking the
> close tab and close window buttons.  Should they be removed/disabled
> too?

Are you serious? I mean I'd have to be pretty drunk (maybe the fact that I
don't drink explains why I've never lost data this way) to accidentaly press
Ctrl+W when entering text...

Seriously, as I explained in the bug report there *is* a way to fix your
> problem, but it is *not* by disabling everything that could possibly
> cause it, because that would render Firefox useless.  And only disabling
> some of these actions is nothing but masking the problem so that people
> don't see the problem enough to complain.

And I replied, maybe we should keep the rest of this discussion in one
place?

> Having 'backspace' do anything other than 'delete last character' in
> > an application where data entry is a primary use is not exactly a
> > clever thing to do. Following this logic, having backspace shortcut to
> > do nothing when a text field is out of focus would be better behaviour
> > than 'page-up'.
>
> Firefox's primary use is "browsing the web" (which includes going to a

And "browsing the web" does not include entering text? I'm sure gmail and
hotmail users will disagree with you.

Arwyn