Is Ubuntu going to adapt Ice Weasel?

t u towsonu2003 at
Wed Oct 18 22:37:17 BST 2006

Tim Schmidt wrote:
>> On 10/18/06, Caroline Ford < at> wrote:
>> When we consider whether to use this name I think people should know that
>> "weasel" is derogatory. I think this makes us look a little unprofessional.
> This is ridiculous.  A weasel is first and foremost an animal.  If the
> Firefox team had used your logic, they'd never have chosen the name
> for fear of offending attractive people.

fox doesn't have nice connotations either. in the US, it may mean
"attractive woman" [in the form of *sexual harassment*]. in my country,
it means tricky, calculating.

weasel may refer to "devious" (from wikipedia) characters in the US, who
knwos what it means in other countries.

there is no escape from the meanings. a nice enough icon, on the other
hand, would remedy that situation ;)

or a really conscious developer could append this info to the
"help>about" menu:
ice != fire
weasel != fox

which is the origin of the firefork's name.