New feature specifications: install without configuring the BIOS

Alien Technology French linux.fr at laposte.net
Wed Oct 18 15:23:00 BST 2006

Just for you attention,

The Mepis and the PCLinuxOS teams met some boot problems of  livecds on
some bios locked with the System Pre-activation Lock from micosoft that
comes with now many OEM computers.
Often the mbr is locked and getting in trouble with Grub that cannot be
installed is the mbr because not write enabled to protect the MS code.
The result of defect booting is to come in a grub black screen because
the kernel was not found.
Make sure it will be tested on SLP bios before validating.

Today Ubuntu boots most PCs than other distros.

The SLP is not very documented on MS Techsite but there is some
knowledge to catch.

The brands concerned are Packard Bell, Medion, Gericom, HP and more to
test (in fact the most are rebranders in "consumer" computer than you
can buy in supermarket).