Repeat question

Mitch Golden mgolden at mitchgolden.com
Thu Oct 12 22:07:37 BST 2006

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006, Simon Edwards wrote:

> On Wednesday 11 October 2006 10:14, Colin Watson wrote:

>> kdm itself doesn't seem to add that, but perhaps some KDE configuration
>> utility does. Although the Kubuntu installation procedure uses the same
>> xorg.conf generation code from xserver-xorg as everything else, I
>> wouldn't expect a KDE-specific X configuration utility to use that; it
>> will probably do its own thing. I couldn't find it on a quick search
>> through kdelibs and kdebase, though; Jonathan, do you know where this
>> comes from?
>
> kde-guidance. It has a configuration utility for X. And according to the
> database (Cards+) that it relies on, it adds the "XaaNoPixmapCache" option
> for exactly to chips:
>
> -----------
> NAME Intel 810
> DRIVER i810
> DRI_GLX
> LINE Option "XaaNoPixmapCache"
>
> NAME Intel 815
> DRIVER i810
> DRI_GLX
> # DRI_GLX 16bits
> LINE Option "XaaNoPixmapCache"
> -----------
>
> The pcitable database that guidance uses says that these PCI devices
> are "Intel 810" or "Intel 815":
>
> VendorID DeviceID
> 0x8086   0x7121   "Intel Corp.|82810 CGC [Chipset Graphics Controller]"
> 0x8086   0x7123   "Intel Corp.|82810-DC100 CGC [Chipset Graphics Controller]"
> 0x8086   0x7125   "Intel Corp.|82810E CGC [Chipset Graphics Controller]"
> 0x8086   0x1132   "Intel Corp.|82815 CGC [Chipset Graphics Controller]"

Thanks, Simon, this is exactly what I was asking about.  I will add it for
the Neographic chipset I have been having trouble with on my old Sony
Vaio.

Are the two maintainers aware of each other - that is, the xserver-xorg
one and the kde-guidance?  It would make sense for them to agree on how
the boards should be configured.  For my desktop computer, KDE got the
Option and the xorg one missed it.  Those users who either (a) don't use
KDE or (b) don't ever use KDE to set the video hardware won't get the
benefit of this.

    - Mitch