Installing to arbitrary block devices

Jody Belka lists-ubuntu-devel at pimb.org
Tue Oct 10 22:59:43 BST 2006

On Tue, Oct 10, 2006 at 04:11:27PM +0100, Jody Belka wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 10, 2006 at 03:39:56PM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 10, 2006 at 03:53:16PM +0100, Jody Belka wrote:
> > > Well, not really done anything with the box yet, so i'll have a go at
> > > reinstalling sometime this week. Thanks for the info. It's just mounting
> > > stuff under /target and writing the fstab that partman does, right?
> > > Nothing else that would be expected to be done?
> >
> > You should make sure to create /var/lock and /var/run on the root
> > filesystem, regardless of whether you're mounting /var separately; our
> > boot process requires that. partman also takes care of creating /cdrom
> > as a symlink to /media/cdrom. I think that's all.
>

> Ok, will do. Thanks for the help. I'll let you know how it goes.

Well, mostly went ok. Forgot to install evms and run update-initramfs
before trying first boot, but that was my fault. And the usual grub-install
issues (ie, it doesn't cope properly with a evms-managed /boot). I know how
to get round that though, so ok. Other than that went really smoothly.

Just leaves one issue reminaing, that I had before the reinstall anyway. Which
is that when the evms activation is happening during boot, it triggers an
error: libgcc_s.so.1 must be installed for pthread_cancel to work

And of course, that file /is/ installed :)

--
Jody Belka [cc me please]
knew (at) pimb (dot) org