Installing to arbitrary block devices

Jody Belka lists-ubuntu-devel at pimb.org
Wed Oct 4 18:20:37 BST 2006

When I was installing ubuntu onto a new system last night, using the server
expert installer, I found my life made much more difficult than it needed
to be by the fact that Ubuntu does not seem to want to let me install to
arbitary block devices. Instead, it wants to have full control over where
I am installing to.

With Debian it used to be possible (haven't looked in a while) to manually
mount volumes to the /target tree, and then continue with the install.
Unfortunately, even this isn't possible with Ubuntu.

What would be really useful, is a dialog driven option to manually specify
block devices and associate them with mounts. Or as a quick workaround, if
Ubuntu would let you set things up manually from the console.

How likely is something like this to make it in?

ps. please cc me, as i'm configured not to receive list emails. ETOOMUCHMAIL.

--
Jody Belka
knew (at) pimb (dot) org