[Fwd: Re: How long will 64bit Ubuntu users have to wait?]

Kilz _ kilzzz at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 1 22:22:47 BST 2006

>"Kilz _" <kilzzz at hotmail.com> writes:
>
> > Thank you. This is exacly my point. People keep pointing out its a
>closed
> > format. Well I admit flash. But Firefox is avilable as 32bit and can be
>run
> > on 64bit with minimum work. Heck if I can do it I know someone else can.
>
>Can you also provide security support for your local installation of the
>32bit browser?

I provide updated versions as deb files usualy before I get the update
manager to upgrade the 64bit version.

> > Poinint out that the flash plugin is closed so you dont want to provide
> > 32bit Firefox is flawed reasoning to me.
>
>This is not the right reasoning. It is "we are not willing to ship a
>32bit browser in addition to a 64bit browser on amd64 because of
>additional maintenance overhead when preparing (security) updates".

You mean that whopping extra work of editing a control file and changing the
folder its installed to . Then making another deb file? After all you are
already making a 32bit package for the 32bit version

> > I could see if you didnt want to repackage flash.
>
>That wouldn't make any sense. The macromedia flash plugin won't work
>with an 64 bit browser.

But if the 32bit version of Firefox were avilable Adobe provides an
installer where the user could install Flash. Its that you are looking at it
from a 64bit view that it doesnt make sense.

> > But that could be easly force installed. The main thing is the
> > browser isnt there, and its not closed source.
>
>Shipping a 32bit browser in the amd64 port of ubuntu is not an option
>for the reasons already given in this thread.
>
>Better write to Macromedia and ask them to provide a linux/amd64 binary
>which works in a 64bit firefox.

IMHO if the reasosn are those you have pointed out  of extra work and
security they dont hold up to even the slightest scrutny. Saying it inst
possible for those reasons is sad.