linux-restricted-modules

Ben Collins ben.collins at ubuntu.com
Thu Nov 30 20:18:54 GMT 2006

On Thu, 2006-11-30 at 13:14 -0500, Matt Price wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-30-11 at 10:43 -0500, Matt Price wrote:
> > - building restricted-modules:  looking at the source package for
> > linux-restricted-modules it seems as though all that needs to happen to
> > let that package build is to change kernel_abi_version.  IS that right?
> > And do you have an automated way of doing that and building the linux
> > meta packages that install both the image and the restricted modules?
> >
> well, it's clearly a bit more complicated than that.  right now if I'm
> correct debian/rules will only build the package if headers for all
> flavours in an archictecture are present.  Any errors and it misfires.
> this makes kernel building somewhat labour intensive (need to build all
> kernel flavours + all header flavours then install them then run
> debian/rules).
>
> At least that's how it appears to me.

The kernel build wiki shows you how to build a single flavour. The lrm
build can be reduced to just this flavour by editing debian/rules and
editing the flavours list. The only other thing is to make sure the ABI
number matches the kernel you just built. Then you can build as a normal
debian package would be built.