Non-free drivers (Re: Invitation to ubuntu developers)

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Thu Nov 30 18:31:51 GMT 2006

On Thu, Nov 30, 2006 at 05:29:33PM +0000, Toby Smithe wrote:
> Hear hear. I agree to the utmost extent I could ever agree to anything.
> I am also on the verge of being pushed into running gNewSense. However,
> I will not do that (I love this place) unless non-free software, not
> firmware, is installed by default.

As I've clarified many times in this thread already, Ubuntu has installed
and used non-free software since its very inception.  We have always made a
compromise for key driver support.

Ubuntu strives to be a completely free system, but has never been pure in
this respect.  We are committed to supporting free alternatives where they
meet the needs of users, but fall back on other solutions where necessary.

--
 - mdz