Invitation to ubuntu developers

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Tue Nov 28 20:07:34 GMT 2006

On Sun, Nov 26, 2006 at 01:12:08AM -0500, Tim Schmidt wrote:
> Seriously folks...  Ubuntu, like Debian, does not ship software it
> can't support.  Further, it doesn't ship non-free software (unless,
> like Debian, it is absolutely, entirely, and without exception,
> _required_ for the installation / use of other free software).

I'm not sure who you mean to represent with this statement, but it isn't the
stated position of the Ubuntu project.  That is documented at
http://www.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/licensing, and is substantially less explicit
than your characterization.  The language in question is "...we recognise
that in some cases binary drivers are the only way to make your hardware
work. As a result, Ubuntu includes several of these drivers...".

"Work" is vague at best, and this proposal is one way in which it could be
clarified.

--
 - mdz